A compilation of tried and tested Indian beauty secrets – skin and hair care tips and how to get rid of different odours from your skin.
1. Papaya juice is excellent for removing warts, corns and black heads.
2. To clean your elbow and knees and soften the skin, rub them regularly with a mixture of dalia (broken wheat) or wheat husk, milk cream and lime juice.
3. Make up stays longer on the face if it is applied after rubbing ice on the face.
4. For oily skin, buttermilk or beaten egg whites mask help to control the oil on skin.
5. Parsley juice mixed with honey and a few drops of lemon or ginger is a good remedy for oily skin. This mixture controls the secretion of oil and if applied regularly, can help balance the moisture of skin
6. A great eye make up remover especially for sensitive skin is baby oil. Add a few drops of oil to a clean cotton ball and slowly wipe away the make up from around the eyes using firm yet gentle strokes.
7. Fruit peel paste make a good face pack. Try with seasonal fruits at home and see the results.
8. For pimples, apply a paste of curd and gram flour to face to get rid of pimples. Wash off after 15 minutes. Your pimples will disappear after a few applications and your skin will begin to glow.
9. To remove black heads from face, particularly the nose, apply milk cream and gently rub that portion. The black heads will come out easily.
10. Groundnut oil helps in curing dryness of the skin. You can mix a little rose water with the groundnut oil and massage the body. Take a shower 30 minutes after the application.
11. To remove hair dye stains from skin, gently clean with cotton wool dipped in eau- de-cologne
12. Beet root juice when applied on tanned lips will help them regain their original color.
13. To remove tan, apply a thin coat of dosa batter on face, keep it on for15 minutes and then wash it off.
14. For soft palms, apply a mixture of sugar and oil and rub for a while before washing it off.
15. Mix half a cup of olive oil with half a teaspoon of turmeric powder. Massage daily before going to bed to get soft skin and to remove tan. But turmeric can stain bed sheets. So use a old one.
16. Raw potato juice is very effective in removing tan.
17. To treat sunburn, mix the juices of radish and cucumber, and rose water in equal quantities and apply over the affected area.
18. Massaging skin with honey daily will give smooth and glowing skin.
19. There are many reasons for a puffy face. Inadequate diet is one of them. Vitamin C deficiency will show on the skin.
20. Drinking watermelon juice can instantly nourish your skin.
21. Milk cream and a little rose water makes an excellent face pack.
22. Rubbing a slice of tomato over the face will make it glow.
23. For flawless complexion – apply mixture of raw milk and sandalwood on skin and then wash it off after 15 minutes.
24. Fresh malai left over night on face (NOT FOR OILY SKIN) is an effective cure for wrinkles.
25. To smoothen wrinkles and moisturizer the skin, peel and core a small apple, mash it and blend it with a teaspoon of honey. Apply on the face and neck and wash it off with warm water.
26. Date pulp, when applied regularly to the face, retards / delays the wrinkling process.
27. For clear, sparkling eyes – Soak cotton balls in rose water and place over your eyelids for 15 minutes.
28. Apply potato juice on burns to prevent scalding.
29. Apply oil to your fingers and palms before cutting or slicing chillies. It will prevent the burning sensation.
30. Prickly heat can be cured by applying a thick paste of rice flour
31. For cracked heels, apply candle wax and mustard oil mixed together in equal quantities. Then wear a pair of old socks to cover your feet. Do this regularly and you will have feet that are good enough to kiss.
32. To prevent shoe bites, try coating the inner part of your footwear with a thin layer of transparent nail polish.
33. To strengthen brittle nails, apply petroleum jelly regularly. Do this and see the difference
34. A paste of red onions, when applied to scalp, promotes hair growth and prevents greying.
35. If you have no time to wash your oily hair, sprinkle some talcum powder on your scalp and brush it out after a few minutes.
36. To get rich color, mix vinegar with henna powder and then apply it to the hair.
37. For glowing hair, grind half cup green gram, lemon peels, handful of curry leaves, few reethas (ritha) to a paste and apply to hair and then wash it off
38.To keep hair lustrous and dandruff free, apply a paste of cooked chana dal and fenugreek leaves and rinse it off.
39. To get rid of dandruff, apply a mixture of warm olive oil, coconut oil and lemon juice on your hair. Do a steam towel wrap for 15 minutes and then wash off.
40. Heat coconut oil, add 2 or 3 flakes of garlic and 3 or 4 pepper corns to it. Cool and apply to your scalp for healthy and voluminous hair.
41. If you have dry hair, massage your scalp with olive oil and encase in a hot towel for 2 hours. Shampoo and apply conditioner (conditioner to be applied only to ends of hair) to make it lustrous.
42. To give your hair bounce, mix besan (gram flour) and kanji water (starch from cooked rice) and apply to hair. Wash after a few minutes.
43. To cover gray hair: Take a little mehendi powder, an egg, the juice of half a lemon and I table spoon instant coffee powder. Mix these and apply to hair. Wash off after 45 minutes.
44. Add a pinch of baking powder to your shampoo before washing your hair to make it shiny, squeaky clean and soft
45. To get rid of dandruff: Mix 3 parts of curd, 1 part sugar, Apply to roots of your hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water
46. Lime juice mixed with mustard oil is an excellent cure for dandruff
47. Grind fenugreek leaves to a paste, apply on your scalp and leave overnight. It acts as an anti-dandruff agent.
48. For instant shiny hair, use a mixture of tea boiled in water with lemon juice, for the last rinse. 1 part of this must be mixed with 3 parts of water for best results. Cumin, turmeric and black pepper are hair friendly spices.
Getting rid of Body odor
49. To prevent body odour, add a little alum to your bath water
50. To get rid of body odour, apply rose water to the underarms. Rose water is natural, cheap, and serves as an effective deodorant.
51. To get rid of bad breath, chew on a parsley twig or lemon rind, or eat an apple.
52. To get rid of smell of onions from your hands, rub baking powder all over them and then wash off.
53. To get rid of the smell of fish, wash your hands with rice water.
54. Keep lemons that have been juiced beside the sink. And rub over your hands after handling fish or any strongly flavored foods.
55. Rub a few drops of cooking oil on your palms before washing and cleaning fish. Your hands won’t get a fishy odur.